An 18 year old teen in the U.K. had to have her stomach removed due to the ingestion of liquid nitrogen that was served in an alcoholic drink. Doctors say the procedure saved Gaby Scanlon ‘s life.
Gaby had gone to the bar to celebrate her 18th birthday when, after ingesting the drink, she doubled over in pain.
Liquid nitrogen is used in fog machines that you see at concerts and apparently a pretty cool thing to see coming out of a drink. It is what physicians use to burn off warts and if ingested will damage tissues and organs in the body. Professor Peter Barham of the University of Bristol’s School of Physics stated, “It is intensely cold (-196C or −321F) and if not used properly can cause frostbite or cryogenic burns.”
Bartenders who serve the drink are trained on how to properly make the drink with the chemical in it and how to serve it to customers in a safe manner. As for Gaby Scanlon who ingested the drink while liquid nitrogen was still in it, she will now have to eat small meals and be on a very restrictive diet, possibly for the rest of her life.
Although still in the hospital, Gaby is still in serious but stable condition. Prayers going out for the teen as she recovers.