At popular Yosemite National Park’s Curry Village, a dangerous virus has emerged putting 1700 people at risk.
A fatal rodent virus, hantavirus, that can be passed to humans has become a major health issue. Exposure to hantavirus can be deadly to those who come in contact with the rodent borne virus.
The hantavirus virus causes symptoms of fatigue, fever, muscle aches, dizziness, chills, headaches, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea and can take one to six weeks for symptoms to appear after exposure to the virus.
“There is no specific treatment, cure or vaccine for hantavirus infection,” the CDC warns on its website. “However, we do know that if infected individuals are recognized early and receive medical care in an intensive care unit, they may do better.”
Hantavirus is a rodent-borne disease that is carried in the urine, saliva and feces of infected deer mice. At this time, four people have been confirmed with the virus with two of those victims now deceased.
There is a non-emergency phone line set up for those who have questions related to the hantavirus issue. Yosemite National Park’s number is 209-372-0822 and available from 9 am to 5 pm to handle questions.