If you have teens or preteens that drink energy drinks, you need to know more about them.
The FDA is investigating deaths associated with energy drinks after a 14 year old girl in Maryland died from caffeine toxicity. She drank just two cans of of the drink within a 24 hours period before going into cardiac arrest.
The company released a statement saying that they do not feel that their energy drinks are responsible for any deaths associated with Monster Energy drinks.
The FDA is looking into four similar incidents of other deaths that may have links to the drink. In all of those cases, Monster Energy drinks were consumed before death occurred. Not surprising, the company’s stock has dropped significantly after the recent news of the Maryland teen’s death.
One 24 ounce can of Monster Energy Drink has caffeine that is equal to seven cups of coffee. Some energy drinks have twice as much caffeine as that. At this time the FDA does not monitor caffeine in energy drinks unlike soda which is only permitted to have 0.02 percent caffeine. An investigation into energy drinks is long overdue.